Monday, May 11, 2009

Grand Plans

Step one: By the end of this week I will be including pictures in my blog.

Step two: I am going to do some research about designing patterns and start making sketches of some of my ideas.

Step three: I am going to continue to write, working toward building the habit of writing daily.

There we have it. More later as the rest of my ideas are still a bit rough.

I learned a new knitting term. I've been knitting for over 9 years and have mastered many skills. I have learned a lot of the vocabulary of knitting and occasionally run across a term that I've never heard before. But this one had me in stitches, to use the vernacular.

Frog or Frogging: To undo or rip out stitches in order to correct an error. It comes from the expression 'rip it.' Say 'rip it' several times. I don't know if I could use this term with a straight face.

My mother bought me a cook book for Mother's Day, The Great Country Inns of America Cook Book. It includes descriptions of inns all over the country and some of their recipes. It's pretty neat. I love to cook and I love to entertain and have thought about running my own Bed and Breakfast for a while now. Several months ago Larry was pitching his plans for a theatre to me and I mentioned that I wanted to run a B&B and a CSA: Community Sustainable Agriculture Co-op. After a few contemplative moments we both did one of those 'Ah Ha!' things. All three would fit incredibly well together. And so our business is born.

Larry already has most of his business plan for the theatre competed. I've been doing research about B&B's and am starting to write my business plan for that. And of course in typical Yakira fashion I am already developing my menu and designing and decorating the guest rooms. Talk about putting the cart before the horse. I also am brainstorming about what our 'catch' is going to be; what is going to make us stand out and make folks choose us over other options. Ideas are always welcome and I would love to hear about experiences at B&B's, good and bad.

Enough writing for today, I am off to work on my purple socks. I will post pictures, I promise.

Yakira

"I have learned that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." Henry David Thoreau.

No comments: