Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Rachel's Birthday

For anyone who has never been with a child as they discover their birthday, you have no idea what you're missing. Rachel woke up this morning and climbed into bed with me. I hugged her and asked her if she knew what today was. Obviously she should have because we've been talking about it for weeks but she still took a moment to think about it and then in a questioning voice asked, "Is it my birthday?" I nodded. Incredulous she said, "Really? Really, really? For Real it's my birthday?" At this point I'm trying not to crack up. Again, as if she doesn't believe me, "For real mommy? Is it really my birthday, like yesterday I was four and today I'm five? Am I five right now? All day?" At this point I'm stifling my laughter in my pillow, I don't want to take away her joy. She sits up and looks at her legs and says, "You know mommy, when I was four my legs used to be this long (pointing somewhere just above her ankle,) and now that I'm five they're this long! (pointing to the very tip of her toes)" Her exuberance astounds me. She has such verve that it rubs off on everyone she meets. To my princess, I wish you the best this world has to offer and may your optimism never falter.

Now for those of you who have been following my habit building, I did write yesterday, I just never finished it and therefore didn't publish it. I am going to continue it now and publish it today.

Another award winning recipe:

Couscous, Israeli Style

1 Box Israeli couscous, Trader Joe's is the best and least expensive
1/2 medium red onion, diced small
1/4 C pine nuts
1 C Edemame, frozen (soybeans), you can substitute peas, I just happen not to like peas
4oz Feta cheese
2TBS olive oil
1 3/4C boiling water
Salt and pepper to taste

In 2 quart pan saute onion in olive oil until clear, pour in couscous and stir until toasty brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Pour in boiling water and cover pot. Simmer for 6 minutes then add edemame and stir. Cover and simmer another 6 minutes or until water is absorbed. Meanwhile in a dry heavy skillet, cast iron is great for this, toast the pine nuts until brown, set aside. Once couscous is done remove from heat and crumble feta into pot, pour in pine nuts. Mix well and season to taste.

This makes a fantastic side dish for fresh grilled salmon or tuna. It also makes a great lunch by itself or with a salad. It's pretty good cold too.

My socks are coming along famously. I've turned the heel and am now working on the gusset decreases and will need to start my new ball of yarn soon! It came just in time. I'm going to try the Renaissance stockings after I finish these. I found another yarn that I think will work better. We'll see. Meanwhile I finally got all the projects I'm supposedly currently working on listed in my profile on Ravelry. There are nine, yes, nine of them. I am putting a moratorium on starting any new project until I've finished at least half of them. So there!

I emptied the memory cards for my camera and will take pictures tomorrow. Then I have to figure out how to put them in my blog. I will tackle that tomorrow too.

Yakira

"I have learned that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." Henry David Thoreau.

No comments: