Monday, May 4, 2009

Look mom, I'm writing!

I'm in a bit of a quandary. I'm obsessed with this pair of Renaissance stockings I'm working on. And the house is a mess. And I've got to finish putting some things together to get up on Etsy to sell.

So about these stockings. I'm almost up to the heel turn on the first sock. I'm making them out of this really pretty gray merino that has a pearly sheen to it. The pattern calls for a DK weight yarn so the socks are turning out pretty thick, warm and yummy. Why am I making woolly socks in May one might ask. Ask all you want, the only answer I've got is 'because!'

As for the house, the Flylady zone for the week is the kitchen. At least I've a room to focus on otherwise I wouldn't know where to start. I love Flylady.

My sister introduced me to Etsy. She sells her hand spun and hand painted yarn there. My inventory so far includes an amazing baby blanket made from Velvet Touch yarn in a creamy white. It's got hearts all over it in a knit and purl pattern. It's yummy. I've got about a dozen rayon scarves I dyed in various colors and about 2 dozen silk sashes also in many colors. I also have two felted handbags, a green woolly hat, several scarves and an entrelac shawl in sunset colors. Mom is going to take the pictures this week and I should have it all up on Etsy by the end of the week. Yay me.

Now back to socks. About a year ago I bought a heathered purple super wash wool sock yarn and started a pair of socks. I used my own pattern and made the leg longer. Now just because I've been knitting for years does not mean I remember things like changing the pattern changes the required yardage. At the time I was a novice sock maker and what I thought was a minor change wasn't. Needless to say I got halfway through the second sock and ran out of yarn. A few phone calls later spelled doom. None of the local yarn shops carried my yarn. I didn't have the heart to rip out the socks so I put them in the back on my closet.

Calm down, we have a happy ending here.

My fellow knitting friends started talking about this website called Ravelry. It's a Facebook for knitters and other yarn crafts. I decided to join and made my profile. One of the applications on the site makes it possible for you to list your own yarn stash, patterns, needles and projects. It also makes it possible for you to search other members' yarn stashes, patterns, etc.

I found it! Five other folks on Ravelry had my yarn in their stash. How dare they, right? One of the ladies I emailed was willing to do a straight up trade. As soon as I finish here I am heading to the post office to send her a ball of super wash sock wool in another color. She's putting my yarn in the mail today too. Yay us!

Okay, off to the post office. Then the kitchen. And then and only then, my Renaissance socks. I promise.

Yakira

"I have learned that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." Henry David Thoreau.

No comments: